Fireworks are often the first thing to come into your head when you think about Diwali. But hearing loss is an issue regardless of whether you’re attending fireworks shows that are professionally staged or lighting your own fireworks. These thumping fireworks could be up to 175 decibels (dB) or higher (sound that is higher than 150 decibels has the possibility of causing serious health problems). Therefore, we’re providing the top tips to safeguard your ears from the noise that can be heard during Diwali.
How noise pollution during Diwali can affect ears?
It is recommended that the World Health Organization (WHO) suggests a maximum decibel that is 140 for adult and 120 for kids for fireworks. Although sound over 150 decibels is dangerous, any sound higher than 170-200 could cause fatal issues such as pulmonary embolisms or ruptured lung tissue. The ear canal of infants is considerably smaller than an older adult’s or child’s. Thus, the pressure of sound entering the ear is more intense. Children, in particular, should not be exposed to fireworks in any way. Children can hear sounds that are up to 20 decibels more loud than be an adult. Also, during Diwali fireworks that explode can cause damage to your ears.
What can you do to ensure that your hearing is exposed extreme sound and thus require care?
Make sure you take precautions to protect your hearing throughout Diwali due to the fact that exposure to high-frequency sound could lead to the loss of hearing.